Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public)
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

re: H Chim for DPS vs Healers

Forum Image
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

That fight is pretty odd that way. It's extremely boring for the dps and I can't imagine tanking it is too exciting, either. I know Blizz fell all over themselves after the healer-focused Valithria fight turned out to be pretty good, but I don't think they really recaptured that with stupid Chimaeron.

Noodlestein

I was actually eatting while dpsing that fight. one handed woo woo.

Sinpree

Shaen wrote:
That fight is pretty odd that way. It's extremely boring for the dps and I can't imagine tanking it is too exciting, either. I know Blizz fell all over themselves after the healer-focused Valithria fight turned out to be pretty good, but I don't think they really recaptured that with stupid Chimaeron.

I wouldn't call Valithria a success, I personally found it extremely boring as a healer. They have been doing these gimmick type healing fights since the Anub encounter. I think the healer centered fights are an interesting idea I just think they haven't really executed it in a way I personally like.

Chim isn't so much stressful for healers as it is very luck based. I mean how many wipes have we had because of a heal that normally heals for 10k but happen to not this time, then a person dies?
Noodlestein

Val was extremely fun to tank. that much I do know, other than when dps would decide to rip things away while standing at the edges of the room before I've even touched the thing. >.>

Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Sin, I just know our healers seemed to like Val. As gimmick fights go, I don't think it was all that bad since it did something different for the healers without making things dull for everyone else. Keep in mind, I never did this in 25man.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about Anub being healing-centric.

Sinpree

The last phase on 25man heroic was pretty much all on the healers for Anub. So maybe not the whole fight but definitely the main part of the encounter was. Val I just found silly because it was so easy for one, the swimming part of could be annoying at times, and seeing the big numbers was only fun the first couple times. I am the odd man out probably though that found the encounter kind of boring.
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Oh, see, you didn't specify which Anub you meant and I assumed Anub'rekhan. Happy And yeah, the last phase was definitely on the healers in the ToTC Anub'arak, but I wouldn't exactly call the fight "healer-centric". I'm talking about the more gimmicky healer fights where the encounter's based almost entirely on the actions of the healers and Val's the first one asking the healers to dps the boss with their heals. Loatheb was sort of gimmicky, though I don't think he was ever really a big deal for healers even when the fight was new. The whole mechanic of the healers doing nothing at all and then healing furiously for a few seconds never struck me as particularly interesting. I have no idea how the old 40 man version played, however.

Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

I liked Loatheb well enough as a healer (ten man version, of course). It was something a little different. I liked Valithria too, although I'm hard-pressed to say how many times I had to do it. I used to go resto sometimes to heal it, and I did it with Vid during alt runs, but perhaps I would have grown to dislike it if I'd had to farm it week after week.

Last-phase Anub seemed annoying (though again I only did it a few times). I don't like mechanics that keep you from healing or make it disadvantageous to heal, which I suppose applies to Chim as well.
Sinpree

Lotheb was changed alot for wrath, the orginal 40man was definitely a healing gimmick. Originally casting a heal gave you a debuff that didnt let you heal for 30 sec or something like that. So you would have a line of healers and would heal when it was your turn on the tank. Raid got no healing, had to bandage, use shadow pots, and so on. So for wrath they sort of improved it so it was so lame.

For Anub I should have pointed more out in 25man heroic as that fight was all on the healers in the last phase. First couple phases of the fight were pretty easy. 10man you sort of could dps push through any extra healing but in 25man you really cant. Also all the healers had gimmicks specs and gear for that encounter.

I dont mind them doing healing pressure fights but just wish they went at it differently, I think Val they had a good idea going just wasnt executed in a good way.
Autoriot

Val was an interesting fight, just because it was different than most. On normal it was too easy, but on heroic it was a decent challenge. The floating orbs were slightly annoying when it felt like they were trying to dodge you and you had 1-2 seconds left on your stack. Once they increased the stack timer however, it was pretty darn easy.

Btw, original Loatheb was brutal. Instead of the raid having a couple seconds to heal every 20 seconds, you could only heal or dispel once a minute as you would trigger a debuff that didn't allow you to do it again for 60 seconds. This meant you had to have a rotation for healers to follow that allowed steady heals on the tank all the time.
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

My biggest beef with encounters like Chim is how much success depends on the RNG. To me that's just lazy encounter design because there's literally nothing players can do to prevent failure in a lot of cases. Healers can improve on their timing and tank swaps are important, but that's pretty much it. Better gear for anyone except the dps won't ever really make a significant impact to how the encounter plays out, either. It's just a poor design. I'm actually a bit baffled at how uninteresting this current raid tier is overall.

Sinpree

Autoriot wrote:
Val was an interesting fight, just because it was different than most. On normal it was too easy, but on heroic it was a decent challenge. The floating orbs were slightly annoying when it felt like they were trying to dodge you and you had 1-2 seconds left on your stack. Once they increased the stack timer however, it was pretty darn easy.

Btw, original Loatheb was brutal. Instead of the raid having a couple seconds to heal every 20 seconds, you could only heal or dispel once a minute as you would trigger a debuff that didn't allow you to do it again for 60 seconds. This meant you had to have a rotation for healers to follow that allowed steady heals on the tank all the time.

You explained what I tried to explain better about original Loatheb. I remember farming grave moss in SM for shadow pots, was horrible.
Autoriot

Shaen wrote:
My biggest beef with encounters like Chim is how much success depends on the RNG. To me that's just lazy encounter design because there's literally nothing players can do to prevent failure in a lot of cases. Healers can improve on their timing and tank swaps are important, but that's pretty much it. Better gear for anyone except the dps won't ever really make a significant impact to how the encounter plays out, either. It's just a poor design. I'm actually a bit baffled at how uninteresting this current raid tier is overall.

It's a horrid fight that matches a mostly horrid raiding tier. Many guilds mention that because of tank avoidance and massacre RNG, this fight can take them 1 try or 2 hours once they have it on "farm". It also has the "heal this instantly or wipe" aspect which Blizzard stated this expansion would not be about since they were nerfing healer regen and their big heals in favor of slow and steady damage. HAH!

I think gear has a decent part to play however. Yeah, better geared dps means the fight goes into p2 and finishes faster, but better geared tanks means more health and avoidance/block and better geared healers means more regen, more mana, and more spellpower which are all very important.
Noodlestein

Honestly, after doing Chim twice on Heroic, I'd be happy never to do it again... though Im sure he drops a tier upgrade.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum