Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ullariend
Wears Business Socks

re: Buying a laptop

So it looks like my laptop has kicked the bucket. I don't think it will affect raiding, I've been able to run WoW on my work laptop in the past.

The work laptop is a Lenovo think pad and I have been very impressed with it.

I am looking at an Ideapad: https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?mtm-item=%3A000000F3%3A00004DF7%3A

Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, same as you, Ulla, I've had really good experience with the Thinkpads and an awful one with anything made by Dell.

The only thing preventing me from getting a Thinkpad was always the price but this looks like a really good deal.

Hmmm - good to know, I may have a serious gaming laptop in my future.

I game on my thinkpad that I also use for work. Happy
Adgamorix
Wears Business Socks

I've never been a big fan of IBM. Unlike Voss, I've never had issues with Dell equipment.

There's a reason Dell rhymes with Hell.

I switched to IBM about 2 years ago. Won't look back. Professionally, all laptops/desktops we buy.. IBM. All of our new servers now... IBM. IBM servers are fantastic.

Just my opinion. I would venture to say Dell does offer better consumer support, but.. that's just me.
ullariend
Wears Business Socks

My previous laptop was a dell also, and I had been very happy with the support. I had a 3 year warranty to make sure the laptop would last through law school. It broke down a number of times, but the service was great.

The laptop I had before that also broke down a lot, but the service wasn't good. So I stuck with Dell on the latest one because of the service.

Yeah - Dell's service and support is fantastic. We have IBM servers and I've been less than impressed most of the time. We use HPs for our towers and laptops, and those seem to be ok.

It arrived yesterday. I didn't get a chance to do a lot with it, because I was trying to remove as much of the pre-installed crap as I could.

I did run around Stormwind and Darkmoon Faire a while with graphics set to ultra. Frame rates got noticeably choppy at times. But it did not get nearly as hot as my old laptop did on lower graphics settings.

The exhaust vents are huge on that thing, and it feels like it has intakes built into the keyboard in addition to the ones on the bottom. So I'm optimistic that my biggest problem with the dell won't be an issue with this laptop

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum