Level : 75
Faction : Alliance
Race : Human
Class : Monk
Spec 1 : Mistweaver
Spec 2 : Brewmaster

WoW Armory
WoW Heroes

Tell us a bit about yourself (the person, not the character.) What hobbies do you have outside of WoW? What other games do you like to play, if any? What else are you passionate about?:
I am a 30-something general-purpose nerd. For the past 10 years I've been a research technician at an environmental lab. As of next week I will officially be a graduate student (again), working toward a PhD in Oceanography. I think this is slightly terrifying.

I love science, sci-fi, video games, books, ren faire, and origami. I'm one of a rare lucky breed of female nerds who "inherited" geekdom from my mom -- who referred to me in-utero as her "R2 unit" and it all went downhill from there. I'm happily married to a fellow nerd who unfortunately avoids WoW like the plague. At our wedding, all the flowers were origami roses that I made myself, and the favors were custom gaming dice. If you do not think that is at least a little bit awesome then I'm not sure we can be friends.

I've been playing video games starting with the Atari. Recently I've been enjoying Rift, The Secret World and SW:TOR in addition to WoW, though generally I only focus mainly on one MMO at a time.

Please describe your previous/current raiding experience.:
I started raiding in late TBC. In WotLK I stepped up to quasi-hardcore raiding from Sarth 3D through ICC. During the ToC era, I was one of those crazy people who did 25 hard, 25 normal, 10 hard and 10 normal every week, sometimes on alts too. How I did not burn out forever I still don't know. When Cata launched my guild switched its focus from 25s to 10s, and the ensuing drama stalled progress for a while and I switched to other games. I did at least see some of each tier of Cata. I swapped to raiding in SW:TOR for a few months as well. I came to MoP fairly late, so most of my raiding in this xpac has been in LFR. I've seen all the fights in LFR and a few on normal.

Most of my raid experience has been on my Disc Priest (GRÄCE@EONAR), but I've also tanked and healed a little on my Pally in TBC and Wrath, and healed and DPS'd on my druid. I also did a tiny bit of raiding on my mage and hunter in TBC and Wrath and have been running LFR on my mage the past few weeks. Yes. I'm an altaholic.

Why are you leaving your current guild (if applicable?):
I've been in my current guild since Wrath. I joined for the raiding, not the social aspect. Frankly, while there are some folks I love, many of the people in that guild are examples of all the horrible stereotypes that might come to mind when you think "hard-core raider." When I was raiding with them I mostly ignored that behavior or had some leverage with the guild leader to ask them to tone it down, but as a social/backup player it is hard to justify being in a guild full of toxic people.

Do you have an off-spec? How good is your off-spec gear, and are you willing to play it if needed?:
I've been leveling my monk as mistweaver. I am planning to have a tanking offspec eventually but won't be gearing it until I hit 90 most likely. I used to enjoy tanking and want to try it again even if tanking for randoms makes me pretty stressed. I definitely prefer healing and do not enjoy melee dps.

What is your favourite raid encounter so far in Mists? Why do you like it? What is your least favourite, and why do you dislike it? Feel free to substitute encounters from Cataclysm if needed.:
It is hard to judge since I've only seen some of the fights as normal encounters rather than LFR. I like the council in ToT, it has a nice feel of controlled chaos. There's lots going on but everything is pretty manageable if you are paying attention. Least favorite is probably Durumu, because dealing with that sort of uncompromising and unclear mechanic in a setting like LFR is a recipe for disaster. I think my favorite raid boss of all time is hard mode Mimiron. There was so much going on, and every member of the raid had a role to play and needed to coordinate.

What do you think is the greatest strength of your class/spec? What do you think is its greatest weakness?:
Mistweaver seems to be nicely versatile with some interesting aoe. The downsides as of lvl 75 seem to be mobility and having to juggle both mana and chi. I might re-evaluate my opinions once I hit 90.

Why are you interested in joining Business Time?:
I've been following your progress since Wrath via Pugging Pally / Manalicious. I actually almost applied back then, but at the time I was afraid I might have had to reroll to do it because of my progress in 25s. Now I'm interested in being in a guild with people who raid without being jerks. Also you guys have my friend Elfi, I guess that's worth something…

Do you have Mumble installed and a working microphone? (Business Time is no longer using Vent):
Yes

Please provide a link to a recent combat log. LFR logs are acceptable. :
See the "anything else" section below.

Is there anything else you'd like to add not covered by the previous questions?:
Elfi got me a social invite already, but she suggested I put an app here so you guys could get to know me a bit better. I'd be happy to tag along with you guys if you are short on bodies, but I am also just as happy to hang out and be social. I'm currently healing my way to 90 via LFD and am always willing to run any sort of random thing that people are interested in.

I don't have any combat logs for my monk since she's not 90. If you are interested I can grab a log on my priest during either LFR or an alt raid or something this week.

If you were a vanity pet, what would you be (and why)? Your application hinges on this very critical question.:
Unborn Valk. The valks owe allegiance to Lady Sylvanas (who is my favorite) now that Arthas is gone, and I will always love her even if you guys are Alliance. Plus the unborn valk is kind of pretty in an undead sort of way, and if you cross me…CURSE OF DOOM!

Application Availability Info:
Sunday -> 2x a Month
Monday -> 2x a Month
Tuesday -> 2x a Month
Wednesday -> 3x a Month
Thursday -> 3x a Month
Friday -> 3x a Month
Saturday -> 3x a Month
Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

re: APPROVED - App: Discgraceful - by Millya

Hey, any friend of Elfi's is a friend of ours. It's nice to meet you and thanks for taking the time to fill out the app so thoroughly. If you were looking to raid at this point we'd talk about you, but since you just want to hang out and you are Elfi's friend I'll go ahead and approve you as a social member. Welcome aboard. Happy
Panerai 1
Wears Business Socks

Welcome to our newest Electric Boat or Vol'garona or Lusty Yak or Sexycanoe or whatever we call alts these days

Wears Business Socks

So it was (spectacularly awkwardly, ) suggested to me last night that I might consider applying to raid with you folks for reals. Most of my application is still valid, with the following updates:

Level : 90

Current Raiding Update:
I’ve now seen everything in SoO on LFR, some wings on flex and all except Dino McCrankyface, Super Bug Squad, and Purple Fancypants Garrosh on normal mode.

Why are you leaving your current guild (if applicable?):
You guys basically are my current guild now. I have not done anything except LFR on the Horde side for several months.

Off-spec:
I do have a brewmaster spec, with some timeless isle gear. I have not actually tanked anything since level 60 or so. I am slowly becoming more comfortable with being in melee by practicing fistweaving, so if you need me to swap to DPS for some fights I can start working on learning/gearing but it will take some time to get up to speed.

What is your favourite raid encounter so far in Mists? Why do you like it? What is your least favourite, and why do you dislike it? :
I like Blackfuse as a healer, it has some movement, predictable and random damage bursts, the general controlled chaos feel I enjoy in raid bosses. But I think the conveyer belt mechanic is a little too annoying as far as timing/jumping for the folks who have to do it. I am growing to hate any of the fights with a healer gimmick, like Immersius. They break my normal flow without actually being fun or interesting, and as a bonus they often don’t play nicely with my UI.

What do you think is the greatest strength of your class/spec? What do you think is its greatest weakness?:
Fistweaving is a strength and weakness, as it is incredibly fun and can really increase your healing but at the expense of more buttons to keep track of and being in melee. It is awesome for fights that have occasional silence/interrupt mechanics! Also mistweaver has some spin-up time before you can get to your biggest healing output, both for single target and aoe healing, which makes it less great for spot healing.

Why are you interested in joining Business Time?:
I am already in you! But seriously, I’ve raided with you guys a couple times for fun and for progression, and the experience was great. I would like to think that I’ve been fitting in ok within the guild culture. I’d love to be able to become a permanent part of the team. The fact that I’m willing to switch to Alliance for you guys should pretty much say it all.

Logs :
For Blackfuse:
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/znkPx7qGQat2b8Bh
another chunk of SoO
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7wVfrLzyKmGY6HJM

Is there anything else you'd like to add not covered by the previous questions?:
I am likely to want to switch back to priest as my main (still healer) for WoD but we can cross that dark portal when we come to it. Also as I mentioned last night my schedule is slightly insane for the next few weeks due to final exams etc., but should be settled down by the end of the month. Farther in the future I may have rare long absences due to research cruises, but have nothing concrete scheduled at the moment.
Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

Thanks for updating your application, Grace, we'll be discussing it and getting back to you!
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Research cruises? How can I get that job?

Rhidach
Raider
Wears Business Socks

Grace, my instinct after last night is that it's a bad idea to ever cast Hand of Protection on you since that messes with your Eminence healing. Is that right?
Discgraceful
Raider
Wears Business Socks

@Shaen: be a starving grad student and willing to lift heavy stuff and stay up all night taking samples I guess.

@Rhidach: It depends on the fight. I'm still getting the hang of fistweaving, plus some fights are just worse than usual for melee. If I am just hanging out at range healing butts Hand of Protection is not terrible. Looking at the logs from last night Eminence is ranging from 10-20% of total healing over the whole fight depending on my positioning and whether I'm focusing on it. Any time where the raid is stacked or in melee range HoP will mess with me. For a fight like Thok with his stupid interrupts I might be turn into a cranky dino myself if HoP-ed.

TL:DR if I'm at range it's probably fine, if I'm near melee it's probably not.
Elfindale
Wears Business Socks

:D

That is all.

No, wait...

<3
Rhidach
Raider
Wears Business Socks

Discgraceful wrote:
TL:DR if I'm at range it's probably fine, if I'm near melee it's probably not.

Ok, gotcha, thanks! I'm so used to BoPing Itanya, so I apologize if it happens at an inopportune time. I will definitely make a mental note of your preference.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum