Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

re: What happened to great boss quotes?

Magmaw - nothing.
Chimaeron - nothing. well, except an annoying gnome.
Omnotron - boring, mumbling robots.
Atramedes - decent voice acting, but pretty forgettable.
Maloriak - mostly annoying, but at least a bit of character. still nothing quotable.
Nefarian - o hai again, Metzen! boring. Onyxia still inexplicably mute.

Conclave - no voice acting at all.
Al'Akir - none here either. wtf?

Halfus - again, decent voice actor saying dull things.
V&T - holy shit, super annoying! at least they're memorable, for better or worse.
Ascendant Council - blah for the most part, but "BEHOLD. YOUR. DOOM!" is alright.
Cho'gall - we hear him (them?) talk so much throughout Twilight Highlands and after every other BoT fight, none of it that interesting.

Shannox - she's cute, but still not interesting.
Beth'tilac - mute spider woman.
Alysrazor - same annoying dragon lady voice we've heard a dozen times.
Rhyolith - Marrowgar's larger, lava-filled cousin. I still like the oblivious giant trying to squash pests schtick, so he's good.
Baleroc - pretty standard "you shall all burn!" stuff. yeah, we get it, you guys like fire.
Fandral - see above.

Maybe Ragnaros is awesome, but I'll have to wait and see. What happened to all the imagination that went into previous raid bosses? Even the shitty ones had some personality for the most part. Hell, I despised hearing Sindragosa, but at least the crap she said was memorable and she seemed like an actual character. Pretty much all of Ulduar was fantastic about making every boss feel like they had a purpose other than to just drop loot. I was going to list my favorites, but they're all great. By contrast, BoT, TotFW, BWD and Firelands seem pretty empty. In fact, the best boss quotes in Cataclysm have been in the 5 mans. "Break yourself upon my body!"

ullariend
Wears Business Socks

Give Cho'Gall a little more credit

Stop! Hammer Time!

Sorry, no can do!

Fsob
Wears Business Socks

Baleroc is up there with the best imo. "You stood in fire!"

Wears Business Socks

Pretty sure Fandral says that. ;) But yeah, you pretty much knew that line was going to be used somewhere in Firelands.

Autoriot

re: Re: What happened to great boss quotes?

Most of the tier did suck for boss quotes.

I'll have to disagree on a few though, I liked the Atramedes quotes and even the Maloriak speech when he made Atra blind.

I also enjoyed Maloriak, especially FOR SCIENCE! I would repeat that all the time aloud, mostly to make Ala laugh.

The rest did suck though, including Nef/Halfus/V&T/Council. Cho'gall was ok, but it wasn't the quote themselves, it was more the split personality. Reminds me of the final boss from Fallout: Join...DIE! Join... DIE!

Nothing stood out in Firelands really, other then when Fandral called someone out for standing in fire..and I think Tass chimed in on vent and said "Yes, thanks for pointing it out".
Rhius
Rius Aldregan
Wears Business Socks

For me, nothing beats C'thun's incessant whispering all through AQ40. I hear Yogg-Soron gets up to the same sort of tricks?
Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

I'd have to agree with Mike about Maloriak. MUSTN'T KEEP THE MASTER WAITING, MUSTN'T FAIL AGAIN.

I thought he (she/it?) was at least interesting, and even hearing it repeatedly (unlike Sindragosa) did not cause me to hate it immensely.

It's true that by and large the quotes have not been so memorable for these tiers.
Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Ok, I'll give you Maloriak.

And yeah, C'thun is downright creepy and just about as perfect a voice a boss like that could've had. The quiet, deadpan delivery of lines like "Your heart will explode" was friggin' great. Yogg wasn't bad, but I was a little disappointed that he was so much more enthusiastic than C'thun was.

And I know people hate XT and I especially hate him now in toy form, but seeing a gigantic robot doing calisthenics and then hearing that awful kid's voice when you engaged was fantastic. We wiped the first pull just from laughing. It got annoying over time, of course, but was such a wonderful surprise at first.

Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

So here we are a few years and change later and there still haven't been many new bosses with awesome voice work. Dragon Soul was mostly devoid of personality except for maybe Ultraxion's over-the-top self-important speech from a completely unknown pushover of a dragon. They had such a great chance to make Deathwing awesome and instead they went with corny and predictable.

None of the MoP raid boss voicework was particularly bad or anything, just forgettable. Horridon was really great, though. Primordius was amusing the first time, even though it's just a Gollum gimmick. While I really like pretty much all of the Siege fights, the bosses themselves haven't been terribly interesting from a character standpoint. Mostly a bunch of orcs doing orc stuff. It concerns me a little bit knowing that WoD is likely going to be chock-full of orc bosses, but hopefully Blizz can somehow work the same magic they used for pre-Cata raids.

Rhidach
Raider
Wears Business Socks

I liked the Thunder King, "lightning, seek my foes!" That was fun to hear a thousand times.
ullariend
Wears Business Socks

Rhidach wrote:
I liked the Thunder King, "lightning, seek my foes!" That was fun to hear a thousand times.

I loved his opening statement

"slayer of gods and kings"

re: Sunwell

I really like the NPC interaction throughout the Kil'Jaeden fight.
It really made it feel epic.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum