Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Mods, configs, tinkering of our UIs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tassager
Wears Business Socks

re: Healing Addons?

Okay... So I've picked up leveling my priest again a little bit. I'm really enjoying him, and he sits (for the moment) at level 53. Stacked in full BOA's, and running simple pugs, so nothing is really challenging me yet.

However, I've also been using the default party frames in conjunction with my G13 gamepad for healing. Has worked out just fine so far, but I'm looking for just a bit more configurability. I figure that to do it "right," by about level 60 or so I should be training myself on whatever addon I'm intending on using in later levels.

I'm reading through the internets right now about the differences between grid, vuhdo, healium, and healbot... but thought I'd ask you all for input as well. Many of you have or do play healers... what has worked best for you, and why?
Autoriot

Healer wise in BT, there has always been a split between Grid & Vuhdo from what I remember. Formerly being a holy paladin I was fond of Grid and didn't like Vuhdo when I gave it a shot. Alawyn and some of the others swear by Vuhdo however.

I liked Grid because of it's simple interface and layout. I had no trouble getting it do what I wanted, whereas in Vuhdo it seemed like a nightmare trying to setup everything and the interface was a little too flashy for me.

As far as other mods, since you're a priest I can't help you a lot there. As a holy paladin I had a custom holy power bar (with sound upon using holy power or gaining charges), and a mod to help track Beacon/Shield/etc. As a priest I imagine you'll want to setup whichever raid frame mod to show Shield timers, absorption left, etc. Can also use a separate mod to track that stuff or other things like cooldowns.
ullariend
Wears Business Socks

I am a grid fan. I have a naga mouse, and use it with mouseover macros and clique. With the gamepad, a similar setup may work for you.

I had the same reaction as auto to grid when I tried setting it up, plus I think it's ugly compared to grid

I hadn't heard of Healium before, and I couldn't imagine using it to heal a raid, but I could see it being useable at low levels while you are learning the class

I've tried all the healing addons and I am Vuhdo for life. I think the setup is much more intuitive, and I like the options and sub-menus. Plus, you don't need to download eight billion modules for it to work. (GridStatusHotDebuff, GridCirclesInCorners, I don't even know. ;p)

I think for someone who is just going to heal casually, Vuhdo provides the best bang for your buck with easy to set-up functionality yet powerful options if you choose to delve more deeply or want to tweak stuff later.
Panerai 1
Wears Business Socks

vuhdo all the way

Vuhdo has great support by the author and a great community at plusheal.com

I've found that the vuhdo author is very involved - and constantly keeps it updated for current content.
He doesn't say, but he has to be a fairly progressed raider because he debates feature design for hard modes with people in forums. "It sure would be helpful on Sinestra's Wrack to be able to..." and he works the design through with the community.

Somewhat anecdotal, but I feel that the vuhdo author puts out some cool new feature and then others try to copy a few weeks later.

I know some holy pally's were thrilled when he put this out a few weeks ago
Quote:
-- Added new feature "Cone degrees" in cluster scanner to
allow for scanning targets in a cone in front of you only
(Light of Dawn)

The vuhdo interface is simple, but not intuitive (if that makes sense). It's not the easiest to configure - but if you understand his design metaphor, you'll see how it works.

if you try it out let me know - and I can walk you through setup on mumble.

GRID YO, it's where it's at.

+Mouse-over macros.

Fsob
Wears Business Socks

I use Vuh'do. Not only on my healers, but on all my toons.

Wears Business Socks

Wee! You guys are helpful!

As Ulla suggested, I'm interested in keeping the gamepad involved and using whatever addon I choose in almost a clique type arrangement.

I had tried vuhdo for a bit back in ICC when I had a resto set, and it always struck me as the addon for druids, and not much else... but it's interesting to hear such support in here from the other classes as well.

Based on what I'd read before coming back here to this thread, I thought that Grid would be ideal for what I'm looking to do... but not for the level of casual-ness I'm looking to do it at (due to everything I'd read about how involved it was to set up), and so I was all ready to boot up healbot and call it a day.

So now you've all got me genuinely unsure. I'm going to give those three a shot and likely ask for help. :-)

Oh, and Ulla... I can't imagine using healium for raid healing either... but I know healers that do. /facedesk
Paranon

I mostly just use the default raid-style party frames on my healers. I used to use grid, and I miss the debuff highlighting sometimes, but the default frames do a pretty good job of duplicating everything I used grid for. My bossmod always screams at me when something bad goes up on someone, so I don't even miss the debuff highlighting as much either. That said, I'd probably go back to Grid if I were healing on a main.

Ogres support the 21st Amendment.
Tassager
Wears Business Socks

Yeah, these new default party frames are actually pretty darn good... I'm just looking for a BIT more flexibility with how/where buffs/debuffs are shown... Hm.
Carlctrl
Raider
Wears Business Socks

I'm actually a convert. I had used Grid for years, but found Vuhdo much easier to do more complex things with. I think Grid is probably easier to just "install and go" so-to-speak (and yes you should install several "helper" Grid add-ons but that is a one time hassle), but Vuhdo can do much more for you.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Mods, configs, tinkering of our UIs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: