Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Mods, configs, tinkering of our UIs
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Dirtface

re: AVR

Woohoo!
Noodlestein

Artisane wrote:
Autoriot wrote:
Have fun with AVR while you can..

Blizzard wrote:
This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.

So long easy mode mod envy

I approve of this. I never liked the concept of making the game so idiot proof with encounters, and it ruins my immersive experience. Its already a shame that we need to rely on so many other mods to complete encounters.

Then you can say the same about a range finder. since its just a visual range finder and both are just as easy to look at.

Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

Hey, the thing is, some of us liked AVR. Some of us didn't; no need to go dancing on its grave and putting it in the face of those of us who liked it. wink

I will admit that on some fights it was very hax - like Rotface, the way it would mark exactly where each ooze explosion would land? That didn't really seem fair. For a fight like Sindragosa it's nice to see at a glance but really nothing a range finder couldn't also tell you...don't stand on top of the person with the ice block!

Anyway, AVR is dying, so let's not bicker about it, OK? Anti-AVR people, we get it. Noodle, I know it was your true love. We'll have a moment of silence in its honour.
Fsob
Wears Business Socks

Same topic kinda, anyone know of a addon tracking multiple ranges? AVR would show (from my understanding of it) different sized circles according to debuffs. On H Sindy I need 20 yds away during the first few phases so i won't explode my self-betraying magic on people and 8-10 yds in phase 3 for the iceblocks. I kinda can judge the distances now that I'm used to it but the first few attempts I was really wanting 2 range finders so I wouldn't have another macro to click.
Artisane

Noodlestein wrote:

Then you can say the same about a range finder. since its just a visual range finder and both are just as easy to look at.

I dont use range finder. I've played long enough to now how far 6, 10, 30 yards are. Its just a feeling thing.

Wears Business Socks

Fsob wrote:
Same topic kinda, anyone know of a addon tracking multiple ranges? AVR would show (from my understanding of it) different sized circles according to debuffs. On H Sindy I need 20 yds away during the first few phases so i won't explode my self-betraying magic on people and 8-10 yds in phase 3 for the iceblocks. I kinda can judge the distances now that I'm used to it but the first few attempts I was really wanting 2 range finders so I wouldn't have another macro to click.

How about using the one from DBM for one thing and xperl for the other?
Fsob
Wears Business Socks

Vosskah wrote:
How about using the one from DBM for one thing and xperl for the other?

I use xperl to make sure I never stray out of range of healers. Happy
Vosskah
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Well, I used AVR and found it fun for some things and in the way for others. I understand why it's going to be blocked but it was a marvelous piece of engineering and I enjoyed trying it out.

But seriously, there is no need to be derisive of others' choices or playstyles. Whether one uses addons or not, I honestly don't care as long as you get the job done. If someone wanted to have a chronometer and keep in mind all of the timers for the boss' cooldowns, good for them. It's not personally my cup of tea.
Artisane

Vosskah wrote:
Well, I used AVR and found it fun for some things and in the way for others. I understand why it's going to be blocked but it was a marvelous piece of engineering and I enjoyed trying it out.

But seriously, there is no need to be derisive of others' choices or playstyles. Whether one uses addons or not, I honestly don't care as long as you get the job done. If someone wanted to have a chronometer and keep in mind all of the timers for the boss' cooldowns, good for them. It's not personally my cup of tea.

but, but... everyone needs to play like I do!!! wink

Wears Business Socks

Is that just a general statement, Voss? Because I'm not sure I see any derisiveness in this discussion. People gave their opinions of the addon and that's about it.

Panerai 1
Wears Business Socks

I'm curious as to what the game would be like without Mods

meaning, Blizz compensates for mods with more difficult encounters - i have to think they do.
Its a bit of a cycle, things get harder, players/addon developers compensate.
Blizz drops the hammer or creates new mechanics, players adapt and adjust.

I remember back in vanilla, I had a healing mod that sorted raid frames by lowest health. Literally, all i had to do was spam the top raid frame - that was the lowest health character.
I had another mod that auto-ranked spells. If i clicked "Greater Heal" it knew that a rank 3 would heal to full for much less mana than rank 4.

I wonder how much of Blizz's QA and playtesting is done "raw" - really, out of the box game and UI.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: