Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Mods, configs, tinkering of our UIs
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vosskah
Officer
Wears Business Socks

re: AVR

Alright, I've heard a lot about this addon and I think it might help with Sindragosa especially.

Noodle, I know you've installed it and have tested it out. Can you please write up a blurb about it, how to configure it, what it shows, etc?
Noodlestein

Just got up from me nap so bear with me

The mod doesnt need to be configured from the start, it just works, which is nice

Pretty much, it'll put slightly transparent markings on the ground letting you know when shit is happening, like where it is safe to stand, where it isnt safe to stand, how long it is till someone gets iceblocked and the range of the iceblock chainblockingoflame.

example from earlier this week.
Forum Image
(open it in a new tab for a good look.)
Right there the red circle is showing the radius of the spore explosion, so anyone out that wille not be getting the debuff from it, also if you look closely there is a piece of the pie that is a bit darker, because that is the timer for the explosion, since it's early in the spores life it's rather small but it slowly rotates around the circle untill it's full and thus ending the timer.

Artisane

Wow, that seriously looks distracting.

I think I'll just learn to play better and stand where I'm supposed to and move when I need to.

You know, I thought the same thing but it's really not, Its only got things like that up when you should be looking around / paying attention to those kinds of things anyways.
Honestly for that, it's like, spore is up? Am i in the circle? no? move in. very quick & easy.
Also very nice so if the spore person moves you notice a red thing on your screen move as well since sometimes the spore is covered by the boss.

Artisane

How easy is it to disable while in a raid?

Well it only works in raids, and never have tried to since I like it :P
I'll see if there is an option somewhere to turn it off, I'm sure there is.

Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

I wouldn't mind using something like that for things that are otherwise hard to see, like the goo in heroic Festergut. But aside from that, I wouldn't want to become reliant on a mod to tell me where it's safe to stand. That's just a little too much.

Noodlestein

It actually cant do a warning for festers goo unfortunately.
but anyways, then dont allow yourself to become reliant on it? I mean whether or not the mod was there, I still know what to move from, it just adds a bit of an extra "OHAI MOVE" color to it. tbh it's just really nice for letting you know the range of things so you know whether or not you're going to get the spore without having to look at the /proxy /dist meter and have it jumbled with over9000 names where as you might not have the name of the person you need to be close to on it.
BLAH
Anyways, I personally dont mind if people dont use the mod, but if people dont, they need to shape up on sindy(People who still use the mod need to make sure to shape up as well, though the mod makes it easier to shape up :P), considering the way it sounded last night it was worse than sundays run (all in all it wasnt too bad, but far too many people messing up on easy stuff)

Shaen
Officer
Wears Business Socks

I can't imagine not becoming reliant on it. It seems like just a different sort of DBM. Can you imagine raiding without DBM (or the one you use that I can't remember the name of)? I'm not saying it's a bad addon. I'm saying it's not something I'd want to use because it looks to provide even more hand-holding for boss encounters than we already have. It's not meant as an insult to you, dude. :P

Vosskah
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Thanks for the overview, Noodle. I'll give it a shot.

And yes, for Sindragosa, being able to designate the iceblock positions would help.
Noodlestein

Shaen wrote:
I can't imagine not becoming reliant on it. It seems like just a different sort of DBM. Can you imagine raiding without DBM (or the one you use that I can't remember the name of)? I'm not saying it's a bad addon. I'm saying it's not something I'd want to use because it looks to provide even more hand-holding for boss encounters than we already have. It's not meant as an insult to you, dude. :P

Oh I'm defiantly not taking it as an insult, no worries, to each their own.

As for DBM/another other boss mod, that information is so usefull, and it'd be impossible to track it without a mod.

Could you imagine keeping track off all the cooldown in your head while trying to dps and other crap durring sindy? My head would explode.

Vosskah wrote:
Thanks for the overview, Noodle. I'll give it a shot.

And yes, for Sindragosa, being able to designate the iceblock positions would help.

You didnt use it already?! xD
It's so awesome for sindy, as where for fester the only thing that pops up are the red circles.
Sindy you get the radius of people with unstable magic & radius of the iceblocks along with it letting you know their position clearly :P
I should have taken a screenshot

I recorded rotface last week to try and show what AVR did durring that fight (little circles where the exploding oozes would drop but without the UI being recorded it didnt get the AVR stuff

-edit-
OH YEAH, it also shows the radius around people with vile gas, so you dont run into them and get stunned and so they know not to run the circle over other people. :P

Millya
Guild Leader
Wears Business Socks

The warrior tank narrating the Vox Immortalis videos that Pan linked for heroic Sin is using it, so anyone interested can see it in action there. Happy
Noodlestein

Shaedre wrote:
The warrior tank narrating the Vox Immortalis videos that Pan linked for heroic Sin is using it, so anyone interested can see it in action there. Happy

Oh snap, he is
Though there are some differences with the default one.
Without doing anything to settings, the circles are more transparent (I prefer it over his bright red) and also I couldn't see the "timer" on the circle, probably because the normal circle and the timer circle were the same transparency/color

For anyone who doesnt want to go to the other thread and click the link :P

Autoriot

Have fun with AVR while you can..

Blizzard wrote:
This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.

So long easy mode mod envy
Artisane

Autoriot wrote:
Have fun with AVR while you can..

Blizzard wrote:
This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.

So long easy mode mod envy

I approve of this. I never liked the concept of making the game so idiot proof with encounters, and it ruins my immersive experience. Its already a shame that we need to rely on so many other mods to complete encounters.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: