Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanakil
Wears Business Socks

re: Tech Question

SOOOOOO.... I've been itching to get back into WoW again and again, but what has been bothering me when I turn on my computer is the noise that it has been making. Therefore, I have just been using my IPad for internet related needs and left my computer for time when I could try to address the issue.

The noise is a really high pitch tone, much like that which tvs or older monitors used to make when they were left on with no signal. AKA the silent ringtone, due to the fact that as we age we lose the ability to hear this frequency.

I have opened up my computer and checked the various case fans, cpu and gpu fans and the noise is not coming from them. Listening around it does not seem to be coming from the power supply. I am at a loss as to where it is coming from.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be?? It sometimes goes away, and sometimes does not start making noise until after a short while.

My best guess is the power supply as I am not able to turn that fan off (to my knowledge) and still run the comp, even though the sound does not seem to be coming from it that I can tell (could be wrong). I want other peoples input before I started tearing this and my other comp apart for a comparable PSU.

I built this computer about a year ago and it does not have that many hours on it.

What I have:
Intel Core i5-3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
8gig (4g x 2) GSkill Ripjaw RAM (I don't remember the exact name)
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Only used for storage, and I can hear it turn on when accessing files on it)
EVGA GTX 460
LG Electronics GH24NS95R 24x dvd-rw sata
NZXT Sentry-2 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller
Cooler Master case w/ 2 120mm fans (I replaced the original ones with Cooler Master ones that had better performance and were quieter)
BFG Tech BFGR650WGSPSU 650W ATX 12V 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
Elfindale
Wears Business Socks

First, just to clarify, what monitor are you using? I'm assuming it's not a CRT, correct?

The two most common components of a pc that can produce a high pitched whine are the power supply and the motherboard. Have you tried pinpointing the noise with the case open? This sounds silly but use a paper towel tube or something similar and slowly work your way around all areas. Because the tube will funnel the noise towards your ear, where you hear it the loudest is most like the source.

If it's the power supply, pretty quick and easy to replace. I hope it's your power supply. However, power supply issues will usually be constant the entire time your pc is powered on. The fact that you stated it sometimes goes away and sometimes is late to start may mean it's the motherboard.

If it's the motherboard, it's usually (but not always) a problem with the capacitors and sometimes you can see them physically bulged out or misshapen.

You said you built the pc about a year ago, maybe the motherboard is still under warranty and you can get it replaced?

If you can determine it's from the motherboard, I'd suggest googling "fix motherboard whine" and reading several of the pages found. There are various quick fixes that can be tried, such as a drop of glue on the coil to stop vibration and some bios settings related to the CPU that can be changed and might accidentally help. Wouldn't hurt to try some of these quick, cheap fixes first and see if you get lucky.
Sanakil
Wears Business Socks

Thanks, I have tried to listen with the case one and I never thought of using a tube but it makes much sense. I was not able to get my head in the right place to hear properly for the power supply as it has a large fan that faces everyone in the computer and my ead isn't that tiny. I was assuming that it could be redirecting the noise. I will check these out.
I am assumingr that ASUS's warenty is pretty decent but I'll have to check on that too. I got most of the components for Christmas last year so I know that it was built almost exactly a year ago.

Also I currently only have one of my monitors hooked up and the one that I am using is a 23" LG LCD. I think it is a LG W2353V.
Elfindale
Wears Business Socks

I figured you were using a LCD monitor, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Hopefully, you'll be able to find the source and it will be something easy. Good luck.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Business Time Discussion (Public) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum