Level : 85
Faction : Alliance
Race : Human
Class : Paladin
Spec 1 : Ret
Spec 2 : Prot

WoW Armory
WoW Heroes

Tell us a bit about yourself (the person, not the character.) What hobbies do you have outside of WoW? What other games do you like to play, if any? What else are you passionate about?:
My name is Dan and I'm a gameaholic. Well, sorta. I spend most of my free time playing games like Diablo 3, Endless Space, StarCraft II, and just about anything that comes out that appeals to me. I currently write for WoW Insider, primarily covering ret paladin articles, and am working ever so slowly toward a new career in the game industry.

Please describe your previous/current raiding experience.:
For Cataclysm:
T11 - 12/12N, 4/13H
T12 - 7/7N, 3/7H while still current (6/7H with you guys lately)
T13 - 8/8N, 1/8H

Why are you leaving your current guild (if applicable?):
Well I already left, but I left because the guild was falling apart a bit. Several officers left, the guild leader was MIA for most of the time, the previous raid leader was having a kid, and as such I was left with a heap of responsibility as officer and reluctant raid leader during T12. I enjoyed the chance to try my hand at leading, but I quickly found out it wasn't for me. I tried my hand with a guild that was more progressed for a short while, but the stress of the transfer/new raiding environment and that from my job (which I had just started at the time) led me to take a break from the game.

Do you have an off-spec? How good is your off-spec gear, and are you willing to play it if needed?:
My offspec has been prot since ICC. I had a pretty well-developed set of gear on my Horde paladin, and I switched specs on Antigenic in Northrend because tanking instances was much more appealing at the time than questing. However, I have been more concerned with kitting out my ret gear and, unfortunately, my prot set has become neglected. Given time and drops, I could turn it into something workable, but not in the immediate future.

What is your favourite raid encounter so far in Cataclysm? Why do you like it? What is your least favourite, and why do you dislike it?:
For T11, I have to admit that I really enjoyed heroic Chimaeron if only because I got a brief moment to shine in a non-traditional role as DPS-tank. Learning to do something completely outside of my set of normal responsibilities was quite enjoyable. Honorable mentions include Atramedes, heroic Maloriak, and heroic Halfus (I tanked the latter two).

For T12, Alys was a fun fight when I was able to sneak off from my interrupting duties and chase after the bird, weaving around fire patches and the plummeting corpses of mages and warlocks (we were doing 25N and there were two other interrupters there, it's okay!). Otherwise, the progress we put in on heroic Rag last night was a lot of fun, too.

For T13, I would have to say it's a tie between Hagara and Ultraxion. I really liked the phase transitions on Hagara and the reliance on the individual to avoid the environmental effects, but I also found the DPS maximization and debuff watching on Ultraxion to be fun. I enjoyed putting off Heroic Will as long as I could, often zoning out with under a second left on the cast.

What do you think is the greatest strength of your class/spec? What do you think is its greatest weakness?:
I'm sure a number of ret paladins, or paladins in general, would proclaim that utility is our best asset. Heals and Hands are game-changers, they would say, and a true paladin would seek to use them prodigiously.

Well, I subscribe to a bit more selfish view of a ret paladin's worth. Don't get me wrong, I like helping others quite a bit, but I think one of ret's strongest assets is our on-demand burst DPS. I like showing my worth on fights like Alysrazor, Spine, Zon'ozz, and even Magmaw.

That said, burst DPS isn't always a good thing, and a spiky damage profile punctuated by long dead periods has been the curse of the ret paladin since Wrath. It's getting better, much better in Mists from what I've seen, but it's still a bit of a nuisance.

As for weaknesses, I was going to mention being tied to cumbersome holy power generation for maximum damage output, but that has been patched a bit with 2pT13, and will essentially be a thing of the past in Mists.

Something that I find rather annoying is the lack of effective AoE for less than 4 mobs. Definitely not the spec's greatest weakness in my mind, but something that has always gotten on my nerves.

Maybe I'm just biased (or don't play enough PvP), but it's difficult for me to find big glaring problems with the spec right now.

Why are you interested in joining Business Time?:
Initially I looked at Business Time as a good place to level an alt. I knew Vid/Millya and Voss from Twitter and they seemed like fun folk, so I decided to level yet another ret paladin on Moonrunner. Since then, I've come to realize that *everyone* in Business Time is just as fun and friendly, and that Vid and Voss aren't special in that regard.

Also, with my recent experience in Firelands alt runs and heroic Ragnaros, it seems like you promote an atmosphere of productivity, cooperation, and entertainment, with the goal of killing internet dragons in a light-hearted atmosphere while still managing to keep yourselves focused. That sounds like the kinda place I want to be.

Do you have Mumble installed and a working microphone? (Business Time is no longer using Vent):
Yes

Please provide a link to a recent combat log. If you have not been raiding recently enough to have access to such a log, even a one or two boss run of Baradin Hold is fine.:
Aha, I found the link to last week's FL run: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-v3p5v882xrhof0ix/sum/damageDone/ (if you need something else, let me know and I'll dig around for something older)

Is there anything else you'd like to add not covered by the previous questions?:
Most of my experience is in 25-man raids. I have been a pretty much strictly-25m player since I started raiding, only doing 10-mans on the side or with alts. Looking back, I would have to say that I had more fun in the 10s than in the 25s because the smaller number of people made the whole thing feel more relaxed and it afforded everyone to be more personable.

If you were a vanity pet, what would you be (and why)? Your application hinges on this very critical question.:
I'd probably be Perky Pug, because he's a bit cute (unlike most pugs), perky, and has some killer spikes on his harness.

Application Availability Info:
Sunday -> 2x a Month
Monday -> Always
Tuesday -> Always
Wednesday -> Always
Thursday -> Always
Friday -> Always
Saturday -> 2x a Month
Antigenic
Lysogen
Raider
Wears Business Socks

re: APPROVED - App: Antigenic - by Millya

Doh, I suppose you'll want to see my old paladin with all the achieves and whatnot:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightninghoof/Antigen/advanced
Antigenic
Lysogen
Raider
Wears Business Socks

And just double-checking the How to Apply post, here's a screenshot of my UI:

http://i.imgur.com/tbggs.jpg

I use DBM for my boss mods, but the rest of it is from RealUI.
Tassager
Wears Business Socks

Oh geeze, another Pally?

Vosskah
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Crap, after having that bastard co-tank leaving fur all over the place, now you want me to tank wearing sunglasses to protect my eyes from the overshining glare of your puny spells? wink

Hey Anti, thanks for your app. Give us some time to discuss it and we will get back to you in the next little while after everyone has a chance to check it out.
Antigenic
Lysogen
Raider
Wears Business Socks

Vosskah wrote:
Crap, after having that bastard co-tank leaving fur all over the place, now you want me to tank wearing sunglasses to protect my eyes from the overshining glare of your puny spells? wink

When I train Blinding Light at 87, I'm going to find you and dazzle you for 6 seconds every three minutes!
Tassager
Wears Business Socks

Antigenic wrote:
Vosskah wrote:

When I train Blinding Light at 87, I'm going to find you and dazzle you for 6 seconds every three minutes!

Now if we could just get the priests to grip Voss on CD as well, we'd be set.
Itanya_Blade
Officer
Wears Business Socks

I would, but I don't have a priest available for that yet.
Itanya_Blade
Officer
Wears Business Socks

Also, Voss, I might just transfer one of the bevy of sparkly awesomeness (aka pallies) over to Moonrunner just to annoy you. The 4th Fmoon one is almost 85.

But back to the apt.

You say you don't find a lot wrong with the spec and I do agree that adding the T13 2pc bonus was essential in upping ret dps. The paladin class (and Ret more often than most) tends to change a lot from expansion to expansion. What do you think of the upcoming changes in MoP?
Antigenic
Lysogen
Raider
Wears Business Socks

Itanya_Blade wrote:
You say you don't find a lot wrong with the spec and I do agree that adding the T13 2pc bonus was essential in upping ret dps. The paladin class (and Ret more often than most) tends to change a lot from expansion to expansion. What do you think of the upcoming changes in MoP?

Gah, I typed up my response at work but my phone ate it Let me see if I can't recapture the gist of it.

The biggest palpable change to ret in Mists is the dramatic increase in holy power generation (HPG) through the inclusion of pretty much every DPS ability we have into the holy power system. From my brief experience with the spec on the beta, it seems to work out for the best, reducing the impact of burning three holy power to refresh Inq and eliminating the dichotomy between a main rotation (right now, CSx3, TV) and filler abilities (Exo, HoW, HW). I have a slight fear that the rotation will devolve into a Wrath-type FCFS model, but I'm hopeful that Blizzard won't let that happen.

Losing Holy Wrath and Consecration could make AoE combat a bit more bland, but gaining an AoE holy power generator in Hammer of the Righteous and an AoE holy power finisher in Divine Storm should more than compensate.

Boundless Conviction is a godsend, especially in Mists with such plentiful HPG.

Overall, I feel like the changes coming in Mists for retribution are just a refinement on the current Cata system, small tweaks to make the spec more accessible and less unwieldy. I, for one, welcome our new holy power-dispensing overlords :D
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Business Time Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum